The early years of the Huguenot Society of London and its international connections
04 Mar, 2021 by Huguenot Society
Created in the bicentenary year of the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes by directors of the French Hospital, the Huguenot Society of London, now of Great Britain and Ireland, would become well known internationally for its publications, its research collections at the Huguenot Library, and its links with similar societies worldwide....
The Royal Bounty Archive unveiled
05 Jan, 2021 by Huguenot Society
Following a previous post, in which the details of how the Royal Bounty collection has been made available online, we look at the history of these manuscripts and how the fund was set up and organised. The Royal Bounty was a forward thinking project aimed at lifting Huguenot refugees and their descendants out of abject poverty. Indeed, the majority of them were left with nothing after having had to flee France without their possessions….
Medical curiosities and disease in Bouhéreau’s diary
08 Aug, 2020 by Huguenot Society
The previous post explored the various career paths followed by Élie Bouhéreau as he sought to earn a living as a Huguenot refugee. Having trained as a medical doctor before the Revocation, he regularly recorded in his diary medical curiosities and incidences of disease encountered during his eventful life ....
The Royal Bounty microfiche digitization project
02 Jul, 2020 by Huguenot Society
The Royal Bounty archive is one of the main collections housed in the Huguenot Library. It consists of the papers of the successive French Committees, whose responsibility was to administer and distribute the funds given by the Crown to help poor Huguenot refugees and their descendants, from 1685 to 1876. The digitization project aimed to make the microfiches of this invaluable collection available online to Fellows of the Society ....
The Westminster French Protestant School Archives
20 May, 2020 by Huguenot Society
The archives of the Westminster French Protestant School have survived from its foundation in 1747 until its closure in 1924. Housed at the Huguenot Library, these records are a valuable source of genealogical information, but minutes of Directors' meetings also provide a lively picture of the school's organization, its staff and pupils ....