This annual scholarship of up to £2,500 is awarded by the Trustees of the French Huguenot Church of London Charitable Trust, on the advice of the Institute of Historical Research.
The award will be made to a student working for a higher degree on a Huguenot subject, i.e. the study of any activity of the French, the Dutch, the Flemish or the Walloon Protestants from the 16th century to the present, in any geographical area. 'Activity' will be interpreted in the widest sense.
Application forms on www.history.ac.uk.
The deadline date for receipt of applications is 1 October. Past subjects include:
2002 The World of the Mechanician-Engineer, 1540 -1640
2003 A Comparison of the Lives of Marie de la Tour, duchesse de la Tremoille, and her sister-in-law Charlotte de Tremoille
2004 Social and Cultural Connections between the English and Dutch in England, c. 1660 - 1720
2005 The English Reaction to the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre
2006 The Development of Musical Education in Reformed Europe: 1540 - 1600
2007 John Locke et les Huguenots du Refuge.
2008 Assimilation and absorption: the Huguenot communities in Ireland, 1714 - 1836
2009 Strangers in the Martyrlogies of Jean Crespin
Founded in 1915, the CPAFE works to promote the knowledge of Protestantism in protestant circles and to create and maintain networks between Huguenot societies in the countries of the Refuge worldwide. Its membership is international and the association organises a tri-annual reunion of Huguenot descendants in different regions of France historically linked with Protestantism. Its articles, which are broadcast on French radio (France Culture) are published in La lettre, which appears twice a year.
The French Hospital founded by Royal Charter in 1718 to provide succour to poor French Huguenot Protestant Refugees, today offers sheltered accommodation to those of proven French Protestant descent. The Hospital also manages an Outgift fund which may assist applicants resident elsewhere.
The Museum of Immigration and Diversity at 19 Princelet Street is an early 18th Century weavers house which is being developed as a centre for learning about the immigrant communities - Huguenot, Irish, Jewish, Bengali and others who exemplify the national experience.